Many resources are available to help patients and families navigate the health care system and for patients and families to be involved to make care safer.
• Measuring Patient Harm in Canadian Hospitals (2016) reveals that in 2014–2015, Canadian patients experience preventable harm in 1 of every 18 hospital stays. Resources are available to improve safety and reduce the occurrence of harm.
• Manitoba Patient Safety Framework (2015) includes a vision for a safe, high-quality health care system in Manitoba, and includes a five-year strategic plan to guide patient safety improvements.
• National Patient Safety Consortium (2015), bringing together key partners in Canadian healthcare to focus on the patient voice, leadership, measurement, and communication.
• Beyond the Quick Fix: Strategies for Improving Patient Safety (2015), a report released ten years after the Canadian Adverse Events Study (2004), demonstrates that many Canadian healthcare organizations still struggle to address key patient safety issues.
Patient safety continues to be a worldwide healthcare priority. Studies and initiatives from around the world include:
• A Framework for Safe, Reliable, and Effective Care (2017) A new White Paper by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, this Framework provides key strategic, clinical, and operational components to create a “system of safety”, not just a collection of stand-alone safety improvement projects.
A summary of the World Health Organization’s work and vision on patient safety.
• The Economics of Patient Safety (2017)
• Patient Safety 2030 (2017)
Recommendations, strategies, and tools to guide the next 15 years of patient safety.
• Global Ministerial Summits on Patient Safety (2016, 2017)
Many organizations and professional groups support making healthcare safer. They have many tools, resources, and information on their websites to help understand the issues of patient safety. Visit our list of Patient Safety Organizations for more information.
by the Manitoba
Institute for Patient Safety
will be identified with